Sunday, March 29, 2015

TED Talks: The key to success is Grit.

I found this TED Talks to be interesting about the key to success: The Key To Success? Grit by Angela Lee Duckworth It didn't seem to be so much IQ but what she said "grit". What they need to understand students' learning is not from IQ, but from a motivational perspective, from a psychological perspective. Grit is passion and perseverance for very long term goals. Grit is having stamina. Grit is sticking with your future day in day out, not just for the week, not just for the month, but for years, and working really hard to make that reality. Grit is living life like it is a marathon, not a sprint. Talent doesn't make you grit. So far the best idea of building grit is "growth mind set". This is the belief that the ability to learn is not fixed, that it can change with effort. I learned that failure is not a permanent condition. We have to be willing to fail, to be wrong, to start over again with lessons learned.
TED Talks.PNG
Watch the video.

7 comments:

  1. I am motivated when I think that success is measured based on the amount of effort into something. Especially when that something is raising children. Good post Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We have to be willing to fail, to be wrong, to start over again with lessons learned." That's a good way of putting it Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Grit is passion and perseverance for very long term goals." - This line really hit me because I feel now like I felt when I was in school for my undergrad. I lost that passion for my original career because IT is always what I have wanted to do. Grit is what it takes to push through and make a difference.

    ReplyDelete